I've never been one to wrestle with hard core grudges. Most likely due to my short memory, I haven't had to struggle much with forgiving others. Just give me a couple of days to forget the humiliation and I'm over it. Though, I've also never been in a situation critical enough to warrant more than the reluctant pardon given after a bruised ego or broken heart. I've often wondered if I would know how to forgive someone if they really hurt me or someone I loved; more than that, actually pray for them as Christ asked me. I came across a prayer in the "Oxford Book of Prayer" that gave me new insight into the practice of not only forgiveness, but praying for my enemies. I felt moved to share it with you, in case any of you can glean some small bit of wisdom from it as I did.
"O Lord, remember not only the men and women of good will, but also those of ill will. But do not remember all the suffering they have inflicted on us; remember the fruits we have bought, thanks to this suffering - our comradeship, our loyalty, our humility, our courage, our generosity, the greatness of heart which has grown out of all of this, and when they come to judgment let all the fruits which we have borne be their forgiveness."
*The prayer written by an unknown prisoner in Ravensbrück concentration camp and left by the body of a dead child
Thursday, April 22, 2010
Lesson in Forgiveness
Labels:
Thoughts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Wow- powerful!
I love this. I linked to it in my delicious- you set it up so powerfully with your own words! Ah, if only those kinds of thoughts and prayers would fall off our tongues as generously...
Love you!
Post a Comment