Sunday, April 25, 2010

Children's Book Monday



"Cackle, cackle, Mother Goose,
Have you any feathers loose?
Truly have I, pretty fellow,
Half enough to fill a pillow.
Here are quills, take one or two
And down to make a bed for you."



We have discovered a new favorite in our house; the illustrator Clare Beaton. I haven't seen very many illustrators who embroider their illustrations but it is genius! On our next trip to the library we will be searching for more of her exceptional artwork.

Check out the publisher too: Barefoot Books, they have some pretty cool philosophies.

Right now we are thoroughly enjoying Clare's "Mother Goose Remembers", (another "accidental" find). Every page is a hand stitched masterpiece. She creates scenes that draw you deep into the realm of "silver bells and cockleshells". I mean, how can you go wrong with those beloved rhymes? I was pondering the reason we adore our Mother Goose stories so much, and what I came up with was the fact that they invoke our own childhood memories. I've found myself ruffling through the pages of this book all by myself, feeling like a little girl again!

(Of course since I've had teacher training I have to quickly mention the importance of rhyme and rhythm to our little ones as well...)

1 comment:

Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

This looks so beautiful, Jen! I love that quilted look, and I know Eliana will, too. Off to add it to my list- and look into some others by Clare Beaton! Thank you!